Pages

September 4, 2010

The State Fair

I'm still around.  Just busy.  I live in Minnesota, and my kids don't go back to school until after Labor Day.  We've been going, going, going lately with end of the summer fun and back to school shopping.  Not an excuse for not posting--just how life is.  I will post more, because I need it, but for me, it has to wait until after school starts.

Today, we spent the day at the "Great MN Get Together"--the State Fair.  Very interesting!  In walking around, people watching, I found the experience to be a microcosm view of the obesity problem in our culture.  As I watched all of the people, I remembered one of Bobbie's posts from Anonymous Fat Girl, and found myself playing a kind of "Duck, Duck, Goose "game (did you know in MN, we call it Duck, Duck Gray Duck?   I digress).   Obese, obese, obese, fit, obese, obese, obese, fit, ect, etc. 

I saw people of all shapes and sizes, but the amount of obese people was very high, and the amount of obese people using little carts/wheel chairs to get around was high.  I believe that if I attended the fair 10 or 15 or 20 years earlier, the people would look different.  This kind of makes me sad, and is a poignant indicator that obesity is a real problem in our country--an EXTREME problem.  And I don't want to be part of that problem.

And if you know anything about the MN fair, it's all about eating the food anyway.  I'm not even going to talk about the food I ate--not pretty.  Anyway.  The reason people go to the fair is to eat!  And that's a sad statement about our culture as well.

I don't really know what to make of this all, but I just couldn't NOT say something about it.  Even if it's just to help me process.

I also read in the paper that the Biggest Loser had a casting at the fair earlier in the week.  How appropriate.

All I can say is that when I go the State Fair next year, I want to do it differently! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting...I will be following your journey..We can do this..I'll help you with your homework, if you will help me too!

    YES..next year will be different because you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete

Hey -- Thanks for reading! Leave a comment keeping it positive!